Time for a quick Leach's


On what was to be a footballing weekend, I managed to do two local twitches. I'd been in Preston on Saturday morning to watch my daughter play for Blackburn Rovers U16's (and win) and on the way back looked longingly across to Brockholes Quarry as we passed by on the M6. No sooner had we got home than I got a message that the Great White Pelican had returned after a six week absence not 10 minutes after we'd passed by. Though the provenance of this bird is a bit suspect, I had to go and have a look and what a splendid bird it was.

On the Sunday, we were playing a game in Bury, leaving at 9am. Bill texted me at 8:15 about a Leach's Petrel at Rishton Reservoir. A mad dash for my stuff and 5 minutes later I was walking down Cut Lane wondering what state it would be in. John Metcalf, who'd found the bird, greeted me and took me to see it. He'd collected it from the water and placed the bird in a tussock of grass for safety. Bill, John and Barry arrived to see it before it was taken off to recuperate at the Owl Sanctuary in Rossendale - the bird was very underweight - hope it makes it!

Comments