Wind + Rain = Good Birds


After a couple of days of wind and rain, there was bound to be some good birds around - just as I was about to set out I got news of a fine drake Common Scoter on Rishton Reservoir (managed to get this shot in between the squalls). There were still six Great Crested Grebes here as well as a Common Tern. A juv Peregrine zipped through causing some consternation!
Next I thought I should visit Formby Point for high tide - a good move as it turned out. I managed to find myself a sheltered spot near the top of the dunes and watched for an hour before moving on to Seaforth. There were at least 8 Manxies, several Gannets, lots of terns (Common and Sandwich) and  a lovely Storm Petrel just beyond the breakers.
At Seaforth there were loads of terns including a few Arctic. There were Little Gulls as well and a juvenile Little Tern put in an appearance.

Comments