Girvan in August and an unexpected find


Time for a well deserved week off and we've headed back to Girvan. I love the tranquility of the place (away from the main road of course) and plan to spend more time searching out some good birding spots.
Anyway, we arrived on Friday evening so as there was a stiff wind blowing on Saturday morning (16th Aug), I decided to get up early-ish and do a seawatch from the harbour wall where I'd seen some good birds earlier in the year. It was a good decision to make as straight away there were plenty of Manx Shearwaters passing (though distant) as well as the usual Gannets and Sandwich Terns. I was totally taken by surprise when a Storm Petrel flew south not too far off the coast - the wind wasn't too strong and southerly so it was completely unexpected - as was another (and eventually 4 in the hour I was there).
Then came something I was very pleased to see - a couple of Manxies appeared followed by a dusky brown version - a Balearic Shearwater. This was a UK tick for me and it was very obliging indeed.
Then it was back to watch the superb British contingent take more medals at the Olympics!Larrson the Oystercatcher and our view of Ailsa Craig.

Comments