Woodchat controversy

On Friday 29th May, I took a trip to the Trough of Bowland for the Woodchat Shrike that had been reported earlier. Suffice to say I eventually saw the bird (though all too briefly) but no thanks to the actions of a couple of photographers who, in my opinion, flushed the bird by trying to get far too close and then tried to pin the blame on me. I’ve related my story privately to others in the know and this has been completely verified from another account on an independent Blog. I’m not one to stir up trouble but I made my thoughts clear at the site and would have left it there if the scurrilous accusations hadn’t been made. Though not mentioning me by name (as the more outspoken photographer didn’t know me), aspersions were cast upon my actions and as several friends and acquaintances know I was there, I needed to put the record straight.

Anyway, great views of Cuckoo, as well as singing Siskin, Redstart and Tree Pipit were a nice accompaniment on a very warm afternoon as we searched high and low for the shrike.

Comments