More unexpected birds

I was up reasonably early this-morning so that I could complete a couple of TTVs around Barnoldswick before the showers came. Initially there wasn't anything out of the ordinary with many family parties around the place, especially Magpies and Blackbirds. As I headed up the steep path next to Copy Nook towards Gisburn Old Road, I heard a call that I realised was a Crossbill! It seemed to have come up from a nearby plantation - part of the influx we seem to be having at the moment.

A couple of juvenile Redstarts a bit further round were really nice to see.

Later, I called in at Rishton Reservoir where the Ringed and Little Ringed Plovers were still present along with three Common Sandpipers and an Oystercatcher. However, I took a double take when I noticed two Little Grebes hauled out on the far bank - an adult and a juvenile. These are very uncommon here so I suspect they've dispersed from somewhere nearby due to water level drops. I checked Parsonage Reservoir later and there were still two adults there so perhaps they could have come from Dean Clough.

Comments