"So-sweet" Yellow-broweds everywhere (on the east coast)

But none of them were confiding enough to get a picture.Yesterday, I indulged myself with a bit of east coast birding. Hartlepool is a favourite destination of mine as there's not only the gardens and bushes for passerine migrants but the sea and marshes of the Tees as well.

I headed for Borough Hall area where there were a few birders around, and probably more Yellow-browed Warblers than birders. They were calling from the tree tops - impossible to see in the poplars but occasionally great when they appeared in the Sycamores. They were accompanied by a single Chiffchaff and a Red-breasted Flycatcher which gave us the run around but I managed a couple of hastily taken images.
Red-breasted Flycatcher
What was really weird was that there weren't any other migrants around - I had a single Siskin and Wheatear and that was it!

A lunchtime seawatch over a flat calm sea produced a couple of male Velvet Scoters, Red-throated Diver and an adult Pomarine Skua that came out of the bay.

The news of four Glossy Ibises got me thinking of returning home via Horwich but instead I decided to have a look at Saltholme and Seaton Carew. Other than a YBW at the latter, there wasn't much about - an adult female Marsh Harrier seemed to be the most exciting thing to those in the hide.

So today, I cheked Rishton Reservoir - it's still dropping but nothing new is coming in - then emptied my moth trap in which I had a couple of new ones. Then it was off to Horwich for the Glossy Ibises which had thoughtfully stayed around - an incongruous sight on the edge of the West Pennine Moors.
Glossy Ibis - one of four juveniles at Horwich.
The moth trap is out again so hopefully I'll have a reasonable catch. Here are some of my recent goodies.
Butterbur - a local species

Juniper Carpet

Brown-spot Pinion - used to be common but now quite scarce.

Blair's Shoulder Knot
Red Underwing - as big as a large butterfly

Comments